Looking for the latest Social Media user stats for India? Continuing with the series of stats, facts and numbers for 2014; here I am pleased to share the latest numbers for the Indian landscape. India has been one of the major consumers when it comes to social media, brands in India today are much aware of the potential and value that social media can deliver them as compared to other channels.
I usually don’t include too much stats in my presentations but this client I met yesterday was novice to the industry so I had to include these stats. Even though these stats are only a handful, it will help you making more informed decisions for your brand’s social media presence online when targeting Indian audiences-
What I find appalling is that from the huge population of 1.237 Billion only a small chunk uses internet (that makes me happy too, lot of opportunities you know).
- There are 243 Million internet users in India.
- Total users may increase to 500 Million by 2018
- India will become larger than the US in terms of number of Internet users by the end of 2014 – Rajan Anandan, MD, Google India
There has been a surge in the mobile usage, with the emergence of the Smartphone generation a major chunk of people access internet and social media from their mobile phones.
- The mobile penetration of active internet users is 220 Million. It is of paramount importance to make your sites, pages mobile optimized.
- There are total 92+ Million active social media users via their mobile, which is almost 41% of the total mobile internet users.
Digital Media in India
Digital media has changed the meaning of traditional means of advertising and selling, India has been following the trend as well and the following stats prove it is only going to get bigger and better!
- Digital Advertising has also been witnessing a steady growth. The online advertising market in India to touch Rs 2,938 Crore.
- e-Commerce in India is expected to reach $24 billion (Rs 1,07,800 crores) by the year 2015, which explains the emphasis on E-retail stores like Flipkart, Myntra etc. and the inclusion of buy button in social networks such as Twitter & Facebook (It will be interesting to see how brands leverage these functions in their strategy.)
Social Media in India
Indians are very active on different social networks and 88% of users share content on their social profiles and as well are increasingly spending time on various social networking sites as mentioned below.
Before that, check out what I found on tumblr-
- Facebook is the most browsed social network on social media with a large base of 100 Million users, clearly it is not fading away anytime soon in India. More than 80% of those users access Facebook via their mobile phone.
- Total Twitter users in India are 33 Million and from this base 76% of users access it via their mobile phone.
- LinkedIn has 26 Million India users, of the total 300+ Million users.
- Of the total chunk of 70 Million total users in Pinterest, 5.5 Million comprise from India.
- Instagram the usage is more dominated by men in comparison to women; ratio being 75/25. It shows only 1/4th of the women population in India are on Instagram, looks like selfies are more appreciated by men than women!
- The most shared type of videos is film or movie trailers.
Hope you find these numbers about Social Media users in India helpful.
Update: Thanks to @KaranArora for updating the stats about e-commerce market in India. He also mentioned Indian e-Commerce market was worth about $2.5 billion in 2009, it went up to $6.3b in 2011 & to $14b in 2012.
To target your Indian audiences which social networks are you using? Any of the above stats surprised you? Do share your insights with us the comments section below.